We need you!
Become an integral part of the SETC Convention as a volunteer! Make connections, gain valuable experience, and receive free convention registration.* SETC volunteers find the experience rewarding and many return year after year.
- Applications will be accepted from Tues., Oct. 15, beginning at noon ET, until Sun., Dec. 1, at midnight ET.
- Work 10+ volunteer hours at the SETC Convention in one of the areas listed below.
- SETC will waive your convention registration fee*.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application.
- When approved as a volunteer, you will need to pay SETC Membership by Noon ET on Dec. 13 (Early-Bird Registration Deadline) or lose your volunteer option for registration. Membership cost for students is $45. Regular adult membership is $80, or $55 with the senior citizen discount.
- Information Hub: Maintain the Information Hub station, answer general convention questions, and update the Message Boards Note: Local Louisville residents and/or those who are very familiar with SETC Convention events & activities preferred.
- Convention Gear: Assist with set up, selling and restocking merchandise, perform cashier duties and process payments. Note: Previous retail experience is preferred.
- Registration Desk: Assist with processing convention registrations at the registration booth. Answer general convention registration questions.
- Design Competition: Assist with ushering and supervising the various Design Competition displays. This may include processing design competition entries and registrations.
- Exhibit Hall: Assist with check-in of Commercial Exhibits and Educational expo; monitor exhibit floor during exhibit hours; assist with ushering and supervising Commercial Exhibits and Educational Expo booths when exhibitors are away; provide guard assistance of exhibit hall when closed.
- Special Events: Assist with the set up of banquet, receptions, mixers, etc. Tasks could include decorating, ushering, taking tickets, take down, etc.
- Teachers Institute: Assist with registration, set-up, and for the duration of this hands-on workshop designed for current and aspiring theatre educators. Note: An interest in theatre education is preferred, but not required.
- Theatre Job Fair: Assist with ushering, watching booths, handing out materials, checking badges for entrance, moving materials/boxes, answering questions, etc.
- Professional Auditions: You may serve as an usher, runner, door monitor, or callback room assistant. Note: Those participating in the Professional Auditions may not volunteer in this area.
- Undergraduate & Graduate School Auditions: Jobs vary in this area. Depending on your skills, you may serve as an usher, runner (callback board poster or errand runner), or time-clock keeper. Note: Those participating in the Undergraduate & Graduate Auditions may not volunteer in this area.
- Secondary School Theatre Festival Team: Assist the Production Stage Manager with any tasks or responsibilities needed. Roles include: Front of House, Group Liaison and Assistant Stage Manager.
- On-Site Festivals (Fringe, 10-Minute Play, Theatre for Youth): Assist with crowd control, ticket taking and ushering. Depending on your technical skills, you may be recruited in another capacity.
- Community Theatre Festival: Assist with crowd control, badge monitoring, ushering, counting heads, etc. Depending on your skills, you may be recruited in another capacity by the Festival Chair.
- SETC Central Office/Pre & Post Assistance: Stuffing name badges, tickets, ribbons, etc. Helping pack, moving boxes into vans, etc. Note: Only those local to the Triad area as the SETC Central Office is in Greensboro.
* Please Note: Volunteers are still responsible for paying additional fees if participating in activities that have charges separate from regular convention registration (i.e. auditions, interviews, competitions, Theatre Job Fair, or other special events). You would be responsible for paying the separate fees and clearly communicating your unavailable days and times to the SETC Central Office/Volunteer Coordinator so they can schedule your volunteer hours around any conflicts. If you are participating in a particular activity (auditions, theatre job fair, design comp, etc. it is best NOT to select that area to volunteer.
** If you are participating in either the UG/Grad Auditions AND also in the Professional Auditions you may not be able to volunteer due to audition times and call-back demands leaving very little availability for scheduled volunteer hours.
Operations Team (Dream Team)
Want to be more involved? Take on substantial responsibility at the SETC Convention and work closely with SETC staff and on-site operations.
- Positions are filled first by returning team members and by application when openings are available.
- You must be willing to commit significant hours for the entire run of the convention for the week, and arrive on Tues., Feb 25, 2020 by noon ET the day before convention opens. (If you are participating in any sort of auditions, it is likely you will not be able to participate on the Dream Team without special arrangements).
- SETC will waive your convention registration fee, and provide free shared lodging during the convention.
- Previous experience as a General Volunteer or participation at the SETC Convention is preferred but not mandatory.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application. Contact email@example.com for more information.