71st Annual SETC Convention
2020 Submissions Closed
We are no longer accepting workshop proposals for the 2020 SETC Convention. Thank you to everyone who proposed a workshop! We look forward to announcing the wide range of workshops that will take place at the 71st annual SETC Convention, Feb. 26-29, 2020, at the Kentucky International Convention Center in Louisville, KY.
If you missed the deadline, we hope you’ll consider submitting a proposal for our 72nd annual SETC Convention in 2021. Contact SETC Program Manager Bradley Branham with any questions.
Review and Notification Process
You will receive electronic notification when your proposal has been received. You will also be notified via email by Nov. 1, 2019, as to whether your proposal has been accepted or declined.
SETC does not provide honoraria for presenters at the convention. SETC is a membership organization and all accepted workshop presenters and their co-presenters, panelists and assistants are required to be members of the organization and must pre-register as Adults (not as Students) for the SETC Convention by midnight ET on Dec. 2, 2019.
Workshop Proposal Submission Timeline
|June 3, 2019
Aug. 30, 2019
Sept. 13, 2019
Oct. 15, 2019
Nov. 1, 2019
Dec. 2, 2019
|Workshop Proposal Submissions Open at 9 a.m.
Deadline: Submit Workshop Proposals with AV Requests by 5 p.m.
Deadline: Submit Workshop Proposals without AV Requests by 5 p.m.
Convention Registration Opens at Noon
Accept/Decline Notifications Sent by This Date
Deadline: Accepted Presenters Register by Midnight
We strive to achieve a balance of programming for all attendees. SETC is excited to enrich its program offerings for our next convention. We are seeking innovative programming that provides practical development for emerging and seasoned professionals alike. Each proposal is reviewed on the criteria listed below.
Guidelines for Applicants
- SETC will not select proposals that attempt to promote or sell a product or issue. Our sponsorship, exhibiting and advertising opportunities are better suited for those needs. For more info about those opportunities, please contact Bradley Branham.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Graduate students may present workshops, but they must register as an ADULT (Not as a student).
- Undergraduate students may only assist with workshops, and they must register as an ADULT (Not as a student).
- All Presenters, Co-Presenters and Assistants of an accepted workshop must register for convention as ADULTS by midnight ET on Dec. 2, 2019.
- Presenters should not propose the same workshop from the previous year’s convention, unless approved by SETC Program Manager, Bradley Branham.
Before submitting, please consider the following questions.
Does this workshop . . .
- Collaborate with other professionals in the field?
- Provide professional development?
- Contain leading-edge information / theory / innovative practices?
- Emphasize training, learning and performance?
- Provide how-to and hands-on training?
- Focus on skill-building?
- Provide information not easily accessible to your target audience?
- Offer strategies for growing educational, non-profit and/or for-profit organizations?
- Offer strategies for teaching, business and design technologies?
What Attendees Want
According to our 2019 SETC Convention Survey, attendees are seeking the following workshops:
More programming geared toward:
- Administration and Management
- Professional Career Building
- Cultural Diversity
- Women in Theatre
More programming that is:
- Hands-on and practical
- Advanced material for advanced audiences
- Relevant and not recycled
Workshop Skill Levels
Workshops will be offered at the following skill levels:
- Beginner/Basic: Introduction and exploration of concepts
- Intermediate: Building on basic skills and developing competency
- Advanced: Fine tuning for professional artists and practitioners experienced with the concept
70th Annual SETC Convention Recap
Thank you to everyone who presented a workshop in 2019! The photos below offer a small sampling of the wide variety of workshops that took place at the 70th annual SETC Convention in Knoxville, TN. For a full overview of the 2019’s workshop programming, browse the online schedule. Photos by Caitie McMekin.