Thank you to everyone who applied for 2019-2020 grants! We are pleased to announce Chautauqua Theater Company, Mill Mountain Theatre, Hangar Theatre and Montford Park Players as our newest staffing grant recipients.
About the Grant
The Staffing Development Matching Grant is intended for non-academic professional theatres with current SETC organizational membership status. Funds may be used to support existing programs or to develop new programs that provide early career theatre professionals in the field with experiential learning opportunities.
Congratulations, 2019-2020 Recipients!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is SETC?
Our Mission: Connecting You to Opportunities in Theatre Nationwide
Our Vision: SETC is the strongest and broadest network of theatre practitioners in the United States. We provide extensive resources and year‐round opportunities for our constituents. Our services, publications, and products contribute significantly to the careers of emerging artists, seasoned professionals, and academicians. SETC energizes the practical, intellectual, and creative profile of theatre in America.
What organizations are eligible for SETC's grants?
SETC’s grant program is intended to support non-academic professional theatre companies with 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status. The Staffing Development Matching Grant is open to current SETC member organizations. Organizations are eligible to apply to the Staffing Development Matching Grant Program if they meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Are current SETC Organizational Members
- Have been SETC Organizational Members for at least one year prior to application
- Are a producing theatre company that is not primarily funded by a college or university
- Currently possess and have possessed 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status as defined by the IRS for at least two years
- Have not been awarded a Staffing Development Matching Grant in the last three years
- Will provide an internship, mentorship or apprenticeship opportunity to an emerging professional during the grant period
- Will provide 1:1 matching funds and/or in-kind services to support the internship, mentorship or apprenticeship, as described in the guidelines
- Comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances, including but not limited to those that bar discrimination on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, military veteran’s status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law
- Comply with Fair Labor Standards
What is SETC’s definition of a professional theatre?
A theatre that provides monetary compensation/salary on a contracted basis to a minimum of 85% of their staff, designers, technicians, actors and musicians. In addition, companies must have been in production a minimum of two full seasons.
What’s involved in completing a grant application?
Details are provided on the grant guidelines documents, but the application process has been specifically designed to be simple and straightforward. SETC encourages interested theatre companies to apply! Please complete the online application, including a required project narrative as instructed, supplemental materials as directed, and a supplied budget form.
How do I submit my application?
Applications must be completed and submitted online via Kaleidoscope at the links provided below.
Staffing Development Matching Grant Application: https://app.mykaleidoscope.com/scholarship/setcmatchinggrant
What is the application deadline?
Applications for 2019-2020 grants were accepted from June 14 – Aug. 2, 2019. Application details for the 2020-2021 grant cycle will be available by June of 2020.
How many grants will be awarded?
SETC looks to award between two and four Staffing Development Matching Grants for each program during each grant cycle. For the inaugural grant program (2017-2018) SETC awarded a total of four Member Staffing Development Matching Grants.
What if I have additional questions?
For assistance with the grant application process, please email email@example.com with a detailed explanation of questions regarding the application or the program. Please provide return contact information (email and phone). Every attempt will be made to reply to requests within two business days. Replies may be made in the form of email or phone contact.