About the Scholarship
The Steve Bayless Undergraduate Scholarship is designated for a high school student on entering a college or university in the SETC region to major in theatre.
In 2019, the SETC Board of Directors voted unanimously to name the SETC Undergraduate Scholarship in honor of Steve Bayless, who passed away that summer. As a junior high and high school music teacher for over 35 years, Steve touched the lives of thousands of students – sharing not just his appreciation for music and theatre but also the values of hard work, confidence, respect, diversity and caring for others. Steve served on the SETC Board and received SETC’s Suzanne M. Davis Memorial Award. Most recently, Steve was the executive director of the Florida Theatre Conference.
Selection Process and Timeline
- Applications Accepted: Jan. 1 – April 1, 2020
- Application Reviews / Candidate Interviews: April – June 2020
- Winning Scholar Announced on SETC Website: June 30, 2020
- Scholarship Funds Available: Upon Proof of Matriculation, 2020-2021 Academic Year
- Winning Scholar Attends SETC Convention: 72nd Annual Convention
One Scholar Will Receive
- Free one-year SETC student membership
- Free registration for the 2020 SETC Convention
- Photo and bio recognition on the SETC website
Candidates must meet each of these qualifications to be eligible for this award:
- You must be a current high school senior in the SETC region*
- You must be planning to attend an accredited program of theatre studies in the SETC region* during the 2019-2020 academic year.
* The SETC region includes Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.
- Personal letter outlining plans and objectives for theatre study
- Complete theatre resume
- Three (3) letters of reference, one (1) of which must be from a high school principal addressing the applicant’s talent and potential for academic success as a theatre major
- Complete, current transcript including GPA, class rank, and SAT or ACT scores
Questions about submitting application materials should be sent to email@example.com.
2019-2020 Steve Bayless Undergraduate Scholarship
Thank you to everyone who applied to the 2019-2020 Steve Bayless Undergraduate Scholarship! We’re pleased to announce Leah Eichhorn as this year’s recipient. Applications for 2020-2021 scholarships will be available by Jan. 1, 2020; check back then for updated guidelines and details.
Congratulations, Leah Eichhorn!
A life-long homeschool student, Leah Eichhorn will be entering her freshman year at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, where she will pursue a double major in Theatre and Arts Administration. Having been involved with theatre since she was seven years old, Leah has worked in many aspects of drama from performing to costuming, but her passion lies in stage management. She has stage managed several plays in the North Carolina Triad area, including four productions from Shared Radiance Performing Arts Company. For the past four years, she has attended the American Shakespeare Center Theatre Camp, where she has developed a deep passion for the works of Shakespeare and his contemporaries. Having studied numerous forms of martial arts for the past 14 years, Leah holds a black belt in American Kenpo. In her spare time she enjoys playing music (guitar, bass guitar, and drums), drawing, and writing short stories.
Previous Scholarship Recipients
This award was previously known as the Secondary School Scholarship and has incorporated funding from the former Polly Holliday Scholarship.