SETC offers two grants for non-academic professional theatre companies—one for current SETC organizational members and one for non-member organizations. Applications for 2018-2019 grants will be accepted from June 1 – Aug. 3, 2018.
SETC Convention Grant
This grant is intended for non-academic professional theatres that are not yet organizational members of SETC. The grant provides a trial membership and convention registration, and funds to assist theatres with lodging and related travel for up to four theatre staff members attending the event.
Congratulations to our inaugural winners!
Staffing Development Matching Grant
This grant is intended for non-academic professional theatres with current SETC organizational membership status. Funds may be used to support existing programs or to develop new programs that provide emerging professionals in the field with experiential learning opportunities.
Congratulations to our inaugural winners!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is SETC?
Our Mission: Connecting You to Opportunities in Theatre
Our Vision: SETC is the strongest and broadest network of theatre practitioners in the United States. We provide extensive resources and year‐round opportunities for our constituents. Our services, publications, and products contribute significantly to the careers of emerging artists, seasoned professionals, and academicians. SETC energizes the practical, intellectual, and creative profile of theatre in America.
What organizations are eligible for the new grant program?
Our new grant program is intended to support non-academic professional theatre companies with 501C(3) status. The Staffing Development Matching Grant is open to current SETC member companies, and the SETC Convention Grant is open to companies that are not currently members (and have not been SETC members for the past 2 years).
Organizations are eligible to apply to the Staffing Development Matching Grant Program if they meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Are current SETC Organizational Members.
- Have been SETC Organizational Members for at least one year prior to application.
- Are a professional theatre company that is not primarily funded by a college or university.
- Currently possess and have possessed 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status as defined by the IRS for at least two years.
- Have not been awarded a Staffing Development Matching Grant in the last three years.
- Will provide an internship, mentorship, or apprenticeship opportunity to an emerging professional during the grant period.
- Will provide matching funds and/or in-kind services to support the internship, mentorship, or apprenticeship, as described below.
- Comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances, including but not limited to those that bar discrimination on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, military veteran’s status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Comply with Fair Labor Standards.
Non-Academic Professional Theatres are eligible to apply to the Convention Grant Program if the organization meets the following requirements:
- Are not current SETC Organizational Members
- Were not SETC Organizational Members for at least two years prior to application
- Are not primarily funded by a college or university
- Currently possess and have possessed 501(c)(3) tax exempt status as defined by the IRS for at least two years prior to applying for this grant
What is SETC’s definition of a professional theatre?
A theatre that provides monetary compensation/salary on a contracted basis to a minimum of 85% of their staff, designers, technicians, actors and musicians.
In addition, companies must have been in production a minimum of two full seasons.
What’s involved in completing a grant application?
Details are provided on the grant guidelines documents, but the application process has been specifically designed to be simple and straightforward. SETC encourages interested theatre companies to apply! Please complete the application form, the required narrative as instructed, supplemental materials as directed, and for the Staffing Development Matching Grant the budget form.
How do I submit my application?
Applications must be submitted electronically by email attachment to email@example.com. Please include the name of the grant program in the subject line of your submission email.
Submissions to the above email address will receive automatic notification.
Every effort will be made to insure applicants will receive confirmation that applications are complete within two business days.
Incomplete applications, or applications submitted after the established deadline, will not be considered.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit the application one week prior to the deadline. Staff can only assist in troubleshooting if an issue is brought to our attention early in the application process. Staff will not be available to assist applicants after the deadline.
What is the application deadline?
Applications for 2018-2019 grants will be accepted from June 1 – Aug. 3, 2018.
How many grants will be awarded?
For the inaugural grant program (2017-2018) SETC awarded a total of three Non-Member Convention Grants and four Member Staffing Development Matching Grants. For the 2018-2019 grants, SETC looks to award between two and four grants for each program.
What if I have additional questions?
For assistance with the grant application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a detailed explanation of questions regarding the application or the program. Please provide return contact information (email and phone). Every attempt will be made to reply to requests within two business days. Replies may be made in the form of email or phone contact.